The general objective of the Association is to promote the interests and welfare of its members through collective bargaining and other appropriate means. To this end, the APUO endeavors to:
- maintain high academic and professional standards;
- gain recognition and respect for academic freedom, and secure and maintain adequate conditions of employment and tenure;
- respect bilingualism and multiculturalism;
- deal with academic and professional questions relevant to the membership.
In addition, the Association:
- engages in lobbying on a provincial and national level (through OCUFA and CAUT);
- is involved in the selection and recognition of the recipients of the research and teaching awards;
- distributes a number of awards to carefully selected students;
- provides members with information on housing.