Statement of Policy and Procedures
The Association of Professors of the University of Ottawa (APUO) is the union which represents University of Ottawa professors, language teachers, professional librarians and counsellors. Some 1250 APUO members and nearly 50 clinical professors and administrators contribute voluntarily to the Student Award program, first established in 1972. The members’ contributions fund approximately 100 awards of $1250 each.
To be eligible for the award, an applicant must:
- be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Ottawa;
- have completed one year of university studies or the equivalent;
- indicate an intention to continue full-time studies at the University of Ottawa in the winter term following application.
All applications must be completed online at apuo.fluidreview.com by OCTOBER 27, 2017.
Save for exceptional cases, applications for an APUO award will only be accepted from students who have already filed an application for financial aid with the Financial Aid and Awards Service or, in the case of those students with a study permit, with the International Office.
Documents to accompany application
- All applicants must upload an electronic copy of their previous year’s grade report.
- ALL INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS must upload an electronic copy of their current study permit. An explanation must be given in cases where a Minister’s permit is submitted.
Selection process and criteria
- Awards are given on the basis of demonstrated financial need and academic merit.
- Initial screening of applicants, on the basis of financial need, will be made by the Financial Aid and Awards Service. Subsequent selection, on the basis of academic merit, will be made from the pool of applicants judged to have a demonstrated financial need.
- Selection will be made by the APUO Student Awards Committee. The Committee is composed of representatives from each faculty (and, in some cases, from their schools or sections). The decisions of the Committee are final and there is no appeal process.
- Awards are allocated to the faculties and schools on the basis of student enrollment.
The application deadline for the 2017-2018 academic year is OCTOBER 27, 2017.
Only the recipients will be notified by mail at the end of February 2018.